Look at the old post for How to upgrade UM to 3.2 . In this post I will cover the error faced while upgrade.
When I was importing the data from old appliance, I got below error
Connection closed by remote host
To dig this error in detail, I trid to ssh to old appliance
I got error
"Connection closed by remote host", this didn’t give me much information why was the error occurred, so thought of getting more information to resolve the issue. I tried ssh with verbose logging so that I can see what exactly happening in the background, tried with below command and it did give me detailed information about the issue.
[code]ssh -vv root@old-appliance-ip[/code]
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to localhost [xx.xx.xx.xx] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /c/Users/MoreFreeze/.ssh/id_rsa. debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN' debug3: key_read: missing keytype debug3: key_read: missing whitespace // above it repeats 24 times debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END' debug3: key_read: missing keytype debug1: identity file /c/Users/MoreFreeze/.ssh/id_rsa type 1 debug1: identity file /c/Users/MoreFreeze/.ssh/id_dsa type -1 ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
This proves that there is some error and it was confusing me with the certificate, after 15-20 minutes of googling found that there is something wrong in the hosts.deny file in the /etc/ directory, actually it is not wrong but for security. I edited the hosts.deny file and commented out the line “ALL:ALL”, it started working but I knew that it is not the right way to deal with this, further researching about this gave me idea to add SSHD:ALL in the hosts.allow file in /etc/ directory.
- edit the file /etc/hosts.allow using VI editor, to know how to use VI editor check this VMware KB 1020302
- [code]vi /etc/hosts.allow[/code]
- Add the line SSHD:ALL
- Restart the SSH Daemon process
- [code]service sshd restart[/code]
- To verify tried ssh again, got the password prompt, huh it started working
- Then tried importum command and the UM upgraded to 3.2 successfully.
Please feel free to comment below if you [readers] have faced some other issue.
This post first appeared on the Virtualization Express blog at virtualizationexpress.com, by Karthic Kumar . Copyright © 2013 – VirtualizationExpress . All rights reserved. Not to be reproduced for commercial purposes without written permission.